Best Home Addition Contractors Near Me
There’s nothing like the feeling you get when a home addition completes without a hitch. You’ve just added space and value to your home – all while staying within budget. If you’re like most homeowners, you’ll want the team who completed that successful home addition to be the same ones who help with your next project.
Home addition contractors are just what they sound like – professionals who help homeowners add on to their homes. This can be done by adding an additional room or story to the house, or it can involve renovating an existing room to make it larger. Home addition contractors can also help with less extensive projects, such as putting in a new deck or patio.
But there’s a lot more to consider when searching for contractors near you. Here are some factors you’ll want to take into account when finding and hiring the best home addition contractor for your project:
A “Good” Home Addition Contractor
As a general rule, a good home addition contractor will posses high marks in the following qualifications:
- Experience: A contractor who has been in the business for a while will know what they’re doing and will be able to help you through the entire process. They’ll also have a network of subcontractors they can call on if needed. Even better ones will have most, if not all, the required professionals under one roof, from design to construction. This allows for a more seamless workflow between everyone involved in the project. Bonus points to contractors that have their clients’ input involved and considered throughout the entire process.
- References: Ask the contractor for references from previous clients. You can also check online review sites to get an idea of other people’s experiences with them.
- Portfolio: A good contractor will have a portfolio of their past projects that you can look through. This will give you an idea of their style and what they’re capable of.
You can deduce the capabilities of a home addition contractor in other ways. Some “softer” qualifications that may be indicative of a good contractor are:
How a contractor treats their clients before, during, and after a project is key. A good contractor will be communicative, helpful, and understanding. They’ll also have a degree of flexibility and be equipped to handle issues or changes that may come up during the project.
Take, for instance, this scenario: A change, dictated perhaps by necessity or by the homeowner, needed to be made and a window had to be moved in the middle of the project. A more accommodating contractor would have been able to quickly and easily make the change without any added stress for the homeowner.
A Local Presence
While it’s not a deal breaker, a contractor who is local to your area may be more familiar with the zoning and permitting laws specific to your area. This can save you time and hassle down the road.
A Familiarity With the Design-Build Process
Some contractors specialize in the design-build process, which can be helpful if you’re looking for a more all-inclusive experience. In this scenario, the contractor takes on total responsibility for the project – from design to construction to finishes. This can be a great option if you don’t have time to deal with multiple contractors and want a single point of contact.
The Contractor’s Role
It’s important to understand a home addition contractor’s role in the project. Here are some things you can expect them to do:
- Work with you to come up with a design that meets your needs and budget
- Get the necessary permits and approvals from local authorities
- Manage the construction process, including hiring and overseeing subcontractors if and when needed
- Make sure that the project stays on schedule and on budget
- Finalize the project with a walk-through and checklist
Make sure to ask your contractor about their typical process and what you can expect from them during the project. Better ones should be able to mirror, or even exceed, the list above.
Home additions can be a big investment, so it’s important to choose the right contractor for the job. Winthorpe Design & Build has the experience and qualifications you’re looking for and we can help turn your dream addition into a reality.
From design to construction, we’ll be with you every step of the way, ensuring that your project goes smoothly. We have nearly 30 years of home remodeling and luxury renovation experience under our belt and we have an extensive portfolio of projects in Maryland and Washington DC to show for it.
As is implied by our name, we have the design-build process down to a science. This means that we can take care of every aspect of your home addition for you. If a change needs to be made on the fly, we’re more than capable of handling it.
We’d like to help you with your home addition. Get in touch with us through our new process and start your home remodel journey with us.