Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling in Maryland and Washington DC
When it comes to home improvement projects, kitchen and bathroom remodeling are two of the most popular. But they can also be two of the most challenging.
That’s because these rooms often have a lot of functions, and they need to look good while serving all those purposes. So how do you go about remodeling your kitchen or bathroom? What are some things to keep in mind?
In this post, we’ll give you some tips on kitchen and bathroom remodeling. We’ll talk about the different things you need to consider before starting a project, and we’ll give you some ideas for how to make these rooms both functional and beautiful.
What do you want out of your kitchen remodel? Perhaps you need more storage space like having more overhead counters and/or shelving. Or maybe traffic isn’t flowing through as smoothly. A more open layout might do the trick.
How do you intend to use the new space? If you like to cook and entertain, you’ll need a space that can accommodate more people. If you’re tight on space, consider a peninsula or an island that will give you more prep and cooking area.
What style are you drawn to? Traditional, contemporary, country, or something in between – there’s a style for everyone. You might want to stick with what you have or go for a total overhaul.
Who else will be using the kitchen? If you have small children, you’ll need to make sure that everything is within reach and that there are no dangerous areas.
Designing Your Kitchen
Once you’ve answered the above questions, it’s time to start designing your kitchen. You’ll need to take into account the shape of the room, the size of the appliances and cabinets, and any other features that are already in place. Check out sites like Pinterest for kitchen remodel ideas or go to a kitchen showroom to get some inspiration.
One thing to keep in mind is that your cabinets and appliances will likely be expensive, so you’ll want to choose them carefully. It’s also a good idea to have a realistic budget in mind so that you don’t go overboard on your remodel.
Kitchen Remodeling Tips
- Mixing different styles together isn’t as taboo as you might think. Done right, a traditional cabinet with a contemporary countertop can look great.
- Keep the functionality of your kitchen in mind when designing it. You’ll need plenty of counter space and storage space.
- Don’t forget about the lighting. It’s important to have both task and ambient lighting in your kitchen.
- Use materials that are easy to care for. Laminate flooring is a good option if you’re not interested in doing a lot of upkeep.
Just like with the kitchen, you need to consider what you want out of your bathroom remodel before starting anything. Do you want a more spacious bathroom? A new vanity or sink? How about a new tub or shower?
What style are you drawn to? More modern styles have simple, clean lines. If you prefer a more traditional style, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Take into consideration the entire family. Slipping hazards, while not completely eliminated, could at least still be mitigated by your bathroom design. This is especially important if you have small children or elderly relatives who will be using the bathroom.
Designing Your Bathroom
When it comes to materials, there are also a lot of options to choose from. You can go with tile, marble, granite, or even wood for your flooring and vanity. There are plenty of fixtures and finishes to choose from as well, so you can create a look that’s totally unique to you.
Just like with the kitchen, looking at pictures of remodeled bathrooms can give you some good ideas for your own project.
Bathroom Remodeling Tips
- When choosing a new tub or shower, think about how much space you’ll need. If you’re short on space, a corner tub or shower can be a good option.
- Don’t forget about storage. You’ll need somewhere to put all your toiletries and towels.
- Consider adding a window to the bathroom. It can make the room feel more spacious and let in some natural light. There are different window types and designs that can let the light in while maintaining occupant privacy like stained glass or smoke glass.
- Use materials that are easy to care for. Ceramic tile is a good option because it’s water resistant and doesn’t require a lot of maintenance.
- If you’re doing a complete remodel, consider changing the layout of the bathroom. Moving the sink and toilet to different walls can open up the space.
How Winthorpe Design & Build Can Help
Remodeling your kitchen or bathroom can be a big undertaking, especially if you’re doing it yourself. Winthorpe Design & Build can help with everything from the design to the actual construction. We can also give you advice on materials and appliances that will fit within your budget.
We would love to hear from you. And our new process makes touching base with us a breeze.